Cypress (sometimes referred to as Cy-Fair for Cypress-Fairbanks), is an unincorporated area of Harris County, Texas and is located approximately twenty-five miles northwest of Downtown Houston. Two major freeways are found in the Cy-Fair area – U.S. 290 and State Highway 249, serving as the area’s major links with Houston. The Sam Houston Tollway and Grand Parkway serve as major connections to areas located around Cypress.
Large scale residential and commercial development beginning in the 1980s has transformed this once rural area into one of the Houston area’s largest suburban communities with most of the housing having been recently built. The explosion of new real estate construction in Cypress is a clear indication that the local Cypress economy is robust, and that jobs and other amenities are attracting an influx of new residents.
Cypress is an excellent choice for families with children due to several factors. First, there are a large number of families with children who currently live here, making it a place where both parents and children are developing strong social ties with other families. The highly rated Cy-Fair Independent School District and the large population of college-educated adults provide an environment conducive to academic success. Home ownership is dominant in Cypress with numerous master-planned communities providing areas for children to play and stability in the community. Finally, Cypress’s overall crime rate is much lower than average for the United States.
Information and Demographics
As of the 2010 there were approximately 122,803 people, 39,705 households, and 32,762 families living in the zip codes labeled as Cypress. The 77429 Zip Code is one of the most affluent zip codes in Harris County where the average household income for a family of four is $148,988. The Cypress urban cluster ranks 50th in the top 100 highest-income urban areas in the United States. Over 86% of the workforce employed in Cypress are either sales and office workers or professionals and managers with a very high density of residents who work in computers and math . Cypress residents are among the most well-educated in the nation: 42.47% of adults in Cypress have a bachelor’s degree or even advanced degree, whereas the average US city has 21.84% holding at least a bachelor’s degree.
Master-planned communities with single-family housing and apartment homes bring a neighborly feel to Cypress. Housing options that can accommodate most every budget – from executive mansions to one-bedroom apartments. The average cost of a single family home in Cypress is approximately $200,000, which is 25 percent lower than the national average. Cy-Fair has several senior communities that cater to the needs of multi-generational families who desire to live in close proximity to children, grandchildren, and other relatives but want to maintain a private residence. For elders who require more care and still want their independence, assisted living environments may the best choice.
The Berry Center is an $80 million multi-use complex owned by Cy-Fair ISD. The Berry Center features a football stadium, basketball arena, conference center, auditorium, multimedia production, and catering facility. Live theatre, concerts, exhibitions and other events make the Berry Center an attractive entertainment venue for the entire Cy-Fair area.
Cypress is home to the trailhead of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project, a major parks project under development which will link major anchor parks along the entirety of Cypress Creek via a Greenbelt complete with Hike & Bike Trails, Horseback Riding, Canoeing and other attractions for outdoors/nature enthusiasts. It will link up with the planned Spring Creek Greenway northeast of Interstate 45. The project will not only provide recreational opportunities to the community, but will serve as a flood control infrastructure
Cypress Top Historic Park, located at 26026 Old Hempstead Highway in Cypress, TX 77429, is run by Harris County. The park grounds are open daily, and building tours are given on Tuesdays by Harris County historians and volunteers from the Cypress Historical Society.
• Cypress is served by Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District, the third largest school district in the State of Texas and one of the fastest growing in the United States. CFISD is currently serving over 110,000 students as of 2014.
• Cypress-Fairbanks ISD high school students attend Bridgeland High School, Cy-Fair High School, Cypress Lakes High School, Jersey Village High School, Cypress Creek High School, Cypress Falls High School, Cypress Woods High School, Cypress Springs High School, Langham Creek High School, Cypress Ridge High School, and Cypress Ranch High School.
• Windfern High School offers an alternative path toward graduation for accepted students from the above high school attendance zones.
Private schools in the area
• St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, a K-8 Roman Catholic school operated by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
• Cypress Christian School, a K–12
• Covenant Academy operates as a K-10
• Champions Christian Academy : Pre K – 6.
• Concordia Lutheran High School: 9-12.
• Epiphany Luther School: Pre K-8
• Rosehill Christian School Pre K – 12
• Lone Star College serves the Cypress community and has three locations with close proximity: Certificates and Associate Degrees
• Blinn College (Brenham) is a short beautiful drive out 290 and offers Associate Degrees. Art Institute of Houston – North: Certificates, Associate and Bachelor degrees. Prairie View A&M: Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate Degrees.
• Harris County Public Library (HCPL) operates public libraries in the Cypress area.
• LSC-Cyfair Library, a partner effort between HCPL and Lone Star College System, is located at 9191 Barker-Cypress Road on the Lone Star College–CyFair campus. The Northwest Branch Library is located at 11355 Regency Green Drive.
- Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center Hospital- 10655 Steepletop Drive Houston- Phone: 281-890-4285 www.cyfairhospital.com
- Methodist Willowbrook Hospital- 18220 Hwy 249 Houston- Phone: 281-737-1000 www.methodisthealth.com
- North Cypress Medical Center- 21214 Hwy 290 Cypress – Phone: 832-912-3773 www.ncmc-hospital.com
- St. Luke’s Hospital at The Vintage- 20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston- Phone: 832-534-5000 www.stlukesvintage.com
- Memorial Hermann Cypress Hospital – 27800 Northwest Fwy, Cypress, TX 77433 – Phone: 346-231-4000 Memorial Hermann Cypress
Many of the developments throughout Cypress boast recreation centers with pools and water parks, trails, lakes, waterways, parks, on-site fitness centers and sport associations including The Cypress Creek and Langham Creek Family YMCAs which host extensive fitness and sports programs for individuals and families. Numerous communities also host annual events, which have become family traditions, such as Bridgeland’s Nature Fest, Cypress Creek Lake’s Snack with Santa, Fairfield’s Fourth of July parade and Towne Lake’s Lake-A-Palooza. With more than 30 county parks either in operation or under development residents have numerous outdoor options including the Cypress Creek Greenway Project, which will link major anchor parks along the entirety of Cypress Creek . It will have hike and bike trails, horseback riding, canoeing and other attractions for outdoor/nature enthusiasts.
Visit the https://www.co.harris.tx.us/parks/park.asp for information and location of all parks in the Cy-Fair area.
Cypress has numerous Golf Courses, including:
• Longwood Golf Club-Cypress, TX
• Blackhorse Golf Club-Cypress, TX
• Houston National Golf Club – Cypress, Tx
• Cypress Lakes Golf Club-Cypress, TX
In Close proximity to Cypress are:
• Hearthstone Country Club – in Houston, TX is located a few miles south east of Cypress
Private courses include:
For those who enjoy shopping, Cypress has retail options for everyone, from eclectic finds at local antique shops and Traders Village to more modern stores at Willowbrook Mall and Houston Premium Outlets. The area also offers a multitude of dining opportunities. For a luxury shopping spree, the Houston Galleria is a short trip away.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo attracts nearly two million people each year, making it the largest in the world and the Cy-Fair area has more than its share of events, plays, and festivals. Sam Houston Race Park is a Class I thoroughbred racing facility, which draws people from throughout the state of Texas. The showground features live entertainment from national touring country and rock acts.
Many of the nation’s diverse religious sects have facilities in the Cy-Fair area. Just a few of the local denominations include: The Foundry United Methodist Church, Prince of Peace Catholic Community, Fairfield Baptist Church, Community of Faith, Cypress Bible Church, Cypress United Methodist Church, Bayou City Fellowship, Windwood Presbyterian Church, Saint John Lutheran Church, Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church, Metropolitan Baptist Church
George Bush Intercontinental Airport is located just down the Sam Houston Tollway from Cy-Fair. Most local residents and businesses are only a twenty- thirty minute drive from the terminal buildings.
Twenty eight park and ride routes are provided by Houston’s Metropolitan Transit Authority’s (METRO) 25 Park and Ride lots. The Northwest Station and the Cypress Park & Ride located on U.S. Highway 290 offers a nearby alternative for automobile commuters.
Cy-Fair Equestrian Guide
Here in Cypress we enjoy a large Equestrian Community with a variety of different resources available close to home.
SARA GORDON CPA, CRS
Gordon Ford Properties
13510 Tallow Glen Lane
Cypress, Tx 77429